Upgrading Disks in my Home NAS

It’s been a few weeks since I switched my NAS from LVM (no RAID, pretty much RAID0), to ZFS. It’s been working great, but a couple of days ago, I recieved a nice email from Smartmontools informing me that one of my disks was about to die! I noticed that I was also getting errors on one of the disks during a scrub!

So it’s very lucky that I decided to change to ZFS in time! otherwise I would have had a bit of a problem (yes I realise it was quite silly for me to use RAID0 on my NAS in the first place!). 🙂

Anyway, instead of just replacing the single failed disk, I decided to take the opportunity to instead buy brand new disks.

The old disks were:

I decided to upgrade to:

I’m not really a big fan of Western Digital disks as I’ve had a lot of issues with them in the past. I usually favour Seagate. The reason I chose to give WD another chance is because I have read a lot of reviews of these disks being quite highly rated in performance and reliability, and because looking at Seagate’s site, they rank their “consumer” grade disks pretty poorly in terms of reliability (MTBF) and also only seem to provide a pretty ridiculous 1 year warranty on their consumer grade disks, and the higher end disks cost a little too much for home use!

I was unable to just do a “live” switch of the disks due to ZFS using ashift=9 even even though I had specified ashift=12 when creating my ZFS pool. The new disks use 4 kbyte sectors, meaning if ZFS was aligning for 512 byte sectors I’ll get quite a large performance drop. My only option was to create a new pool and use “zfs send” to copy my datasets over to the new pool.

It wasn’t a huge problem, I just put the old disks into a different machine, and after creating my new pool in the N40L, I used zfs send to send all the datasets from my old disks over. Fast forward a day or so, and everything was back to normal. 🙂

Performing the same test I done originally with my old disks, I get quite a good performance increase with these new disks and SSD!

[[email protected] ~]# spew -b 20m --write 20g /DiskArray/scratch/test.bin
WTR:   329368.36 KiB/s   Transfer time: 00:00:15    IOPS:       16.08
[[email protected] ~]# spew -b 20m --read 20g /DiskArray/scratch/test.bin
RTR:  1140657.64 KiB/s   Transfer time: 00:00:04    IOPS:       55.70

I’m satisfied with those numbers to be honest, it’s performing well enough for me, no lag, or slow IO, so I’m happy with it!

As another follow up to my previous post as well, I did end up buying two Cisco Catalyst 3508G XL Aggregation Switches. They aren’t the best gigabit switches, they are actually quite old and cruddy, but I got them for pretty cheap, and they are managed. They don’t even support Jumbo frames, but considering the price I got them for, I’m happy with them for now until I can find better gigabit switches to replace them with.

In my previous post I was also thinking about buying another MicroServer, as HP had a £50 cash-back deal. The cash-back has actually been increased to £100, meaning that buying an N54L with the cash-back offer, would work out to be only £109.99! So the temptation got to me, and I have ordered two more Microservers.

I’ll use one for backups, and the other I’m not sure about yet! 🙂

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.