As I have pretty much completed my studies for the Cisco CCNA exams, I decided I would build up my lab so I could “practice” for the Cisco CCNP exams. A lot of people recommend using a simulator/emulator such as Dynamips, but I don’t think that works out to be just as good as using real hardware but that’s a different matter. 🙂
I had originally bought my CCNA Lab Kit from the nice people at ITelligentsia so I decided I would buy the rest of my equipment from them as well.
My current lab consists of the following:
- Cisco 1800 Series : 1x Cisco 1841 (I bought this separately from someone else)
- Cisco 2600 Series: 1x Cisco 2610, 2x Cisco 2511XM, 1x Cisck 2621XM
- Cisco 2500 Series: 2x Cisco 2501, 1x Cisck 2509
- Cisco 1700 Series: 1x Cisco 1721 (I bought this separately from someone else)
- Cisco Catalyst 3550 Series: 2x WS-C3550-24 SMI
- Cisco Catalyst 2950 Series: 3x WS-C2950-12
- Catalyst 2900 Series XL: 2x Cisco 2924XL
- Cisco 2000 Series Wireless LAN Controller: AIR-WLC2006-K9
- Cisco Aironet 1200 Series: Cisco Aironet 1231 (AIR-LAP1231G-E-K9)
- 3x Cisco Unified IP Phone 7912G
Hopefully this will be enough to allow me to get going, although I REALLY need a new rack. My 24U rack is already full, so my UPS (4U), Server (4U) and new lab equipment are sitting on the floor, and being very difficult to get access to.
Hopefully I will be able to get two from work in March as we will be moving offices, and from what I can tell, they will be getting new server racks. 🙂
I also bought a UPS a few weeks ago, but I’ve had some trouble with it. The UPS is a PowerWare 5119 RM 3000VA UPS. I have connected a few of my routers to it, and left it charging for over 24 hours, but when I kill the power the UPS goes into a strange state in which it seems to keep switching on and off and lighting up random lights on the front. From Googling a bit, I found that I might need to change some settings using the management serial port. Unfortunately, the UPS does not use a “standard” serial pin out, so I will have to build a cable when I can. Hopefully I will be able to sort the issue, otherwise I will have to send it back to the place I bought it from for repair. 🙁